Feeding a cherry tree

Hi all, I have a dwarf Maynard Cherry.

It's 4 years old about 2m high looks healthy & well established. It's close to a south facing fence.

So far it has produced no fruit. This year it had a lot of blossom, last year it didn't.

There were a fair few fruits forming but they all dropped off, lack of pollination I suspect.

Do you have any advice you can give me on how best to encourage it to bear fruit. Perhaps it needs a good feed? or maybe try hand pollinating?

Thanks

Chris

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,715

Hi c&c, 'Maynard' is listed as a self-fertile variety but as cherries tend to flower very early in the year, there are often few pollinating insects about so hand-pollinating is a good idea.  In fact, I do that with all of my fruit trees as most are dwarf.  It only costs a bit of time. image

All fruit trees need a feed and a few handfuls of fish, blood and bone sprinkled and tickled into the soil in early Spring is all they need.  Sprinkle the feed over an area of about a metre diameter around the tree and keep that area free of grass and other plants as these will compete with the feeding roots of the tree (which are close to the surface.)  A mulch with compost or well-rotted farmyard manure is also a good idea but don't let that touch the trunk as it can cause problems if it is piled up against it.

As an aside, even self-pollinating fruit trees will crop better if there is another variety in the vicinity, so a getting different cherry but in the same pollination group (Maynard is B) may well help if you have the space for a second tree.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks Bob, so there is nothing I should be doing this Autumn. Any idea what causes all the "fruits" to drop. The majority fall when no bigger than a match head.The rest will gradually fall during the growing stages up to about chick pea size....then they're all gone.

Having said that I did have 3 this year get to about 85% fully grown........squirrel $^*&!$£ nutkin had them.............together with all my raspberries............that's another storyimage 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,715

If they fall while still tiny, that's almost certainly lack[ of pollination.  I have the same problems with fruit and wildlife.  Woodpigeons eat the cherries while they are still green and the only defence is to net the trees but that doesn't generally work against squirrels, unfortunately. image  Some report a pet cat or jack terrier is a good squirrel deterrent but SWMBO says "no more pets!" so that's no option here! 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.