Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Freezing corn on the cob.

Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

It looks like ( now we've deer proofed the veg garden ) that we'll be having a bumper crop of corn on the cob. 

What's the best way to freeze it? Blanced, or unblanched?

Devon.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I put it in boiling water for 2 minutes, then cool it, dry it, freeze in plastic bags.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I don't bother with blanching, just straight in the freezer as quickly as possible to retain the sugars.  I have been doing it this way for years.  Like Busy Lizzie, in sealed plastic bags. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

tee hee, one for , one against. Am I any further forward?

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

right, what are the pros and cons of blanching / non blanching? I'm the gardener in the house, not the cook BTW.

Devon.

I'm the cook and gardener so time is of the essence. The cobs are picked on the allotment and rushed home at top speeeeed (bike)  cleaned popped in freezer bags and put in the freeze at oncer.  As they taste absolutely delicious and sweet I see no need to blanche them.  You could try both methods Hostafan and label them appropriately and compare the results.image   

Yes, Philippa this is such a fast moving forum that posts often get crossed so answers look duplicated  image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

The reason you blanch veg is to destroy enzymes that change the flavour. However, if there is sugar present, like with soft fruit, it isn't necessary. Sweet corn contains a lot of sugar for a vegetable, so if you eat it within about 3 months you can freeze without blanching, if you want to keep it for 10 - 10 months you should blanch it.

I have found a website which explains more about enzymes.

http://www.ochef.com/1194.htm 

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Forester2, what do you do with the frozen sweetcorn when you want to eat it?

• AngelAngel Posts: 57

I have never blanched my sweet corn. So far it's been ok ( touch wood ).

Fluerisa -  I take the cob/s from the freezer and straight away put them  in a pan of already boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.  I find there is no need to defrost.  I eat them just as they are with those little cob forks at either end but OH smothers them in butter.

Hope that helps.