Forum home Fruit & veg

Gooseberry bush with tiny leaves

I have a gooseberry bush that is a few years old. To all appearances it is dead, but it isn't. For the last 2 years the leaves have not developed, they are very very tiny, only a few millimetres. What can I do to encourage these leaves to grow?

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Hi Vic ,this might help,

N= Nitrogen Leaf and Stem Growth

P= Phosphorous Roots and Shoots and Buds

K= Potassium or Potash for Flowering Fruiting and general hardiness

flowering or fruiting plants need the right nutrients to help sustain the growth of the bloom or the fruit. They need phosphorus to promote growth of the root and buds, as well as relatively larger volumes of potash to encourage healthy fruit or flower production. Nitrogen gives what your lacking strong leaves and stems , for an allround feed Comfry tea ,a free and well balanced  feed, good luck

• Have you tried pruning?

• Thanks guys, No I've not tried pruning. When should I prune it and by how much?

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=332  gooseberry bush pruning RHS site nice and easy instructions for pruning and training 

• derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

prune hard to increase new growth ,its a bit late this year but it will put out new shoots next year that the fruit will grow on the folowing year,

I usaly cut old wood out when I crop the fruit this makes it easy to  pick the fruit and saves my fingers

DD