Forum home Plants

Mystery stowaway

I bought a potted acer today and when I got it home I found this small plug plant hiding in the branches. Can anyone identify it and tell me how to care for it? It's about 10cm tall with 1cm spines on the main stem. I've repotted it in ordinary garden soil and put it in the greenhouse for now.

• Not sure whether this will help but looks like a young rhododendron to me and would possibly make sense they've ended up together as both prefer acidic soil. Just a shot in the dark!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

Do rhodos have spines?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954

No - not in my experience nut! Leaves are quite similar though.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854

I have a vague recollection that I had one of these many years ago.
    As best I can remember it's a house plant of some sort, not unlike a succulent, it had tiny (1-2mm) red flowers that appeared at the end of a stem.

Got me going now - I'll be racking my old brain all day!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Think I've found what I thought it may be - euphorbia millii - spines look about right, but not sure about the leaves

pic here - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Euphorbia_milii_-_Tower_Hill_Botanic_Garden.JPG

• If in doubt treat it as tender and see what it does, over the next year in it's pot. Later if you think it might be hardy put it outside but with some shelter when necessary, and even later risk it as hardy?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

Pete, you're probably right about it being a houseplant, (tender anyway, possiblya tree) but E. milii is a succulent plant and that doesn't look like one.

could try snapping a leaf off and see if there's milky sap
    it does look very similar to e. millii though - aka crown of thorns-

• Thanks Pete8 I think you are right! Definite milky sap.

As soon as I saw the pic this morning it rang a bell. Must be 40+yrs ago I bought something very similar looking from a fete and just earlier when I saw it was also known as crown of thorns, it all came back. Mine took ages to flower, but it kept going for years as a houseplant until there were just a lot of vicious stems with a few leaves at the top - I think I probably overwintered it outside at that stage image