Forum home Talkback

What's plant to use that is similar to perfoliate alexanders?

CaralCaral Posts: 301

I determined not to have pom pom envy next year. After having read GW the suggestion was to have perfoliate alexanders with them.  But I can only get seeds, and I'm not confident about them being sown direct.

So I'm after other suggestions for a yellowy flowered plant with acid green foliage to show off purple sensations next Spring.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed. 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,368

Hi Caral,

I just had a flick through my pics to see what I had flowering at the same time that was yellow - but all I had was wallflowers, trollius and Welsh poppies which is not really what you're after.

All I can think of is one of the spurges- I don't grow them but I know there are very bright yellow varieties.

Hope someone else has some better suggestionsimage

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Thanks Victoria, I think I may have inadvertently described a spurge image 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

That would be my choice as well. Alexanders are dead easy from seed though. Too easyimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

Alchemilla mollis - if you keep on top of the deadheading image

Euphorbias are easy and so many varieties so that probably is the best suggestion Caral.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you for all the replies.
    I think I'm going to try and grow Alexanders and Alchemilla mollis from seed. In the meanwhile I picked up 3 Santolina (cotton lavender) yesterday which are a lime green with yellow flowers image   

Hi Caral, I find both of those do well with cold sowing. Sow in winter, cold frame, cold GH or outside so they get a good chilling. Then just wait til they germinate. No artificial heat required

Thanks for that, Nutcutlet, would they be okay to sow direct? its a brand new border, with nice tilted soil. Would slugs eat them? Perhaps it worth sowing in pots and the border? Just to be sure that I get some plants. What do you think?

'Morning Caral. 

In theory both of these will be fine sown direct but I'm so weedy I'd lose them.

They both self seed but the plants shed many more seeds than you get in a packet and there are bound to be losses.

Morning Nutcutlet, and what a great point!
    I was trying to be a tad brave but after spending a small fortune last year on seeds, and the only success I had with direct sowing was with hardy annuals and carrots.image
    Pots it is then.
    Oh to have a small greenhouse..thinking of writing to Santa this year.image 

Outside is fine Caral, or you could get one of those little cold frames, there are some very cheap ones about. The one thing they don't want is heat.