Forum home Talkback

Help. Not sleeping.

Morning, sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping image

I dont know your age, hormones are often a cause, even things like when you eat and what you eat can effect them, may be worth a trip to doc image

A quick fix is taurine, just an amino acid, nothing nasty, easy enough to get online and in healthfood shops image

As OL will endorse, no use of anything which gives off "blue light" for a few hours before bed, this includes tv and phones image

Hops, chamomile and valerian are well known sleep aids, its really just a matter of finding one that suits you.

A small amount of carbs before bed can help- small bowl of porridge etc

Excersise in the day can help

Keep a note pad by the bed, write down worries or to-do's so you dont have to keep them in your brain

Dont rule out sleep aid tablets, they really can be useful for occassional use image

Look at something like the gi diet/foods, it helps to keep bloodsugar stable, your body wont feel like it has to wake you up as you shouldnt get lows

A nice warm bath, nice smellies- lavender oil etc

Take time for yourself and chill, try to avoid alcohol, remember this wi pass, dont stress about it image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

Stress can be a major factor Pauline, that's always been the cause of my problem when I sleep badly, so if you've had any recent stress in your life try to address that.- Experts always advise going to bed at the same time every night too, to try and get a regular pattern. I also experienced problems at menopause which has now passed thankfully.

I've always been a good sleeper - I was physically tired in my job when I was younger, and even when I had children I slept well. The two huge stresses in my life was when it changed but dealing with them has helped. I'm adjusting better now after the most recent one so it may be as simple as talking about it to the doc and taking it from there. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Sorry you're not sleeping Pauline and I can empathise with you, I get a bit more sleep than you but am finding at the moment I'm wide awake at about 5-5.30. The last few nights I have also been having very vivid dams, so at lest I know I'm getting some proper deep sleep!! I also end up shattered during the day.

As Bekkie has already said, blue light is a big thing and lots of research has been done. I try (but haven't succeeded the last week!) to stay off my iPad and iPhone for 2 hours at lest before bed.  Turn them off or onto aeroplane mode and also turn the internet off when you go to bed, they all have signals that can interfere with sleep even if not actually being used.  I also never take my phone to bed.

Other than that, I have a nice warm bath, relaxing music and have started doing breathing exercises to totally relax.

No caffeine after 2pm, no alcohol, warm milky drink and a banana image

That's all my advice I'm afraid, I'm going to try following my own advice better this week and see if I can sleep image Fingers crossed and hope you get it sorted.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,546

Could it be genetic? When I was young I slept like a log while my mother was tramping around the house at 3 and 4 in the morning. I used to think "silly old fool, why doesn't she just go to sleep?" but now that I am the same age as she was I too am tramping around the house all night looking for quiet things to do while others sleep. I woke up at 2.48 this morning and never got back to the land of nod. Exhausted, yes.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Ive had nytol, herbal and normal, both great, tend to just get chemist own brand, its the same stuff, just cheaper image

Dont be worried about feeling "drugged" either, the dog can still wake me up when ive had one image
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,832

Yes I have Pauline, Ive also had the stronger Nytol tabs.  I have to say the Herbal didnt work.  Ive often had periods when I suffered symptoms similar to you.  I think mine was stressed based even though I didnt think I was stressed at the time.  I found that breaking the cycle was the best bet.  I took the stronger Nytol tabs for a couple of weeks and then gradually stopped and I was OK.  It would return but not for quite a long time.  The main thing is dont worry about it as it does become a vicious circle, not sleep, worry about not sleep, worrying stops you sleeping etc etc.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    Do you snore? Its possible you could have an obstruction or breathing problem without knowing it, try all of the above, give it a month or so then get checked out if it dosent improve image
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

When I experienced this at the beginning of the menopause, I was so desperate after months with only 2 or 3 hours of sleep that I went to a Homeopath. He gave me some stuff to take and it upped my sleep to 5 or 6 hours per night; blissimage.

I know a lot of studies are pretty negative about Homeopathy, but I think if it works, use it.

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Hi Pauline, I'm in your club!! I saw an article once that said that Kiwi fruit eaten 1 hour before bed can help with insomnia. Apparently it has a chemical in it that aids sleep.

Worth a tryimage

I really dont think it matters what the studies say, even if its a placebo, for me i wouldnt care if it works or why image

I also find actually sitting dow to watch something ive really wanted to watch generally sends me off!image
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,832

It has now been scientifically proven that milk aids sleep, something in it is a soporific.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands