Forum home Plants

Received 48 perennial plugs, but what do I do next?

• Thanks for this thread.  Mine have just arrived too.  Will be potted up and put in greenhouse for winter.  What compost mix is best?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Any multi purpose compost will do.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Oh, that's easy. Ta.

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Ugh, slugs the bain of our lives. 
    Will it hurt these little plants to spend winter on the kitchen window sills? 

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

That's what I like about this forum, we can all share ideas.  I started a similar thread about my first lot of perennials and got mixed replies/opinions which left me very confused, so in a way I'm going with my instinct and using the common sense advice that I've learnt in the last few months image

We all have to just adapt to our own circumstances and help others along the way.

• will my perennial plugs survive in an unheated cold frame (potted on) until next Spring?

• Hi 

I have recently planted my plug plants up into individual larger pots and keeping them inside until i buy a small greenhouse.

However the Nepeta Mussinii have become quite straggly and i'm having to raise them up so that the foliage can dangle down. I know that the eventual plants stand upright and are quite bushy - should i cut them back slightly to encourage a fuller growth or is that not a good idea whilst the plug plant is becoming established?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,421

I'd cut them back completely.

If by inside you mean in the house I would get them outside or they'll be very soft when the cold weather comes and an unheated GH won't be enough protection for them

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • CaralCaral Posts: 301

Great advice Nut. I will do that. image 
    Funny but the one that is planted out is smaller but  much bushy. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,421

Sounds right Caralimage

In the sticks near Peterborough