Forum home Tools and techniques

turning air into soluble nitrate to feed garden??

Does a thunder storm de- ionize the air molecules and turn the nitrogen into soluble nitrate? Thus feeding plants,,and do people put copper rods around there garden to enhance this process,,if this is true could you use a plug-room room ionizer in your shed to do the same thing as the thunder storm does??? alittle sciencey but its worth a shot , im sure someone will explain??

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,213

Beyond me Matthew- I just grow plants image

Might be a knowledgeable boffin on here who can help you, but I'm not holding my breath image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ok
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I'm no scientist but something tells me it wouldn't be worth the outlay in time and copper rods.

• It depends how much you think your gardens worth?
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,735

I think that if it did work you would find that in certain States in the USA, where nearly all rain storms are accompanied by lightening they would be producing the fertilisers for the rest of the world.

Secondly the cost of copper would far outweigh a lifetimes worth of fertiliser.

Nice idea though.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • Cost of copper, copper pipe from plumbers merchant ??3 per metre
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,065

You need actual lightning (ie a large spark) to split Nitrogen molecules (N2) into two separate atoms (N) as a lot of energy is required: N2 is very stable and unreactive until you split it by heating to several thousand degrees.  The single atoms of Nitrogen will then combine with nearby Oxygen molecules to form Nitrate (N03) and Nitrite (NO2) which dissolve in the rain to form weak Nitric acid.

A far more efficient method is used by plants which can fix Nitrogen directly from the air by using enzymes which are almost magical in their ability to do this using far, far, lower levels of energy.  We are talking thousands if not millions of times more efficient.

If you want to make your own Nitrates in the most efficient and ecologically friendly way possible, simply grow plants and stew them in cold water until they are broken down (again using enzymes) by naturally occurring bacteria.  Life has been perfecting these processes for billions of years and has become extremely efficient at it! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I thought it was to do with the negative and positive ions not the lighting heat ?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,065

The high temperature in lightning is necessary to form the Nitrogen ions - have a look here:

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/onlcourse/chm110/outlines/nitrogencycle.html

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I understand that now,,,,,so what r these on about?

http://www.negativeiongenerators.com/electrohorticulture.html