Forum home Talkback

Talkback: A good year for tomato crops

Hi Pippa,

I've also had a continuous supply of both ailsa craig and gold sunrise from my greenhouse grown plants. Until recently they've been very healthy but I've noticed several damaged, hole ridden leaves, and some bright green caterpillars with a yellowish streak which i gather are the culprits? I wonder which type of butterfly may have sneaked thought the vent, whose offspring are busy destroying my lovely tomatoes?!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Those are the caterpillars of the Tomato moth.  The full name is Bright-line Brown-eye (Lacanobia oleracea.)  Both the moth and the caterpillars are most active at night.  The caterpillars are very good at hiding - check along the stems and any supports, twine etc, especially where any vertical sections are covered by a leaf.  If you go out during the night and have good hearing, you can actually track them down by following the munching sounds! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I have grown montgage lifter tomatoes they have been very good I also have the same caterpillars you just have to be vigilant and keep removing them I have only lost 1 tomato due to them eating it