Forum home Plants

Chasmanthe Query

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,465

Hi All,

I bought some chasmanthe bulbs as an experiment. I'd got it written down from wherever I bought them from that they don't like disturbance, wet or cold.

I had them in a pot sunk in the ground thinking that when they were done for the year I could take the whole pot and put it in the shed until the following year, assuming they'd be dormant.

I only saw a tiny bit of growth off two this year so I emptied the pot out to check the bulbs. They look fine and have all grown more round bulbs off the original. They have very few roots, I don't know if this is normal.

I was wondering if I should let them dry out and start again next year or repot and leave out until the weather turns. The small bit of growth has turned crispy/ turning brown.

What do you reckon?

Thank youimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

I've never grown them, but a friend did - she had the  lots of frost-free greenhouse space as she was the head gardener at a stately home - I would leave them in the pot but lift it and bring indoors  before the first frosts - she did it when bringing in pots of pelagoniums and lifting the dahlias. 

I remember her saying that they hate root disturbance so she just brought the pots in for the winter and put them out again in the spring when the summer bedding went out.  As long as they were frost free they were happy.  She didn't water them or anything.  Just left them alone.  

Good luckimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,465

Hi Dove,image

I was thinking about this during the night and your answer confirms it for me.

I'll pot them back up as I wasn't planning on disturbing them at all apart from I thought the poor growth meant there was perhaps something wrong with the bulbs. It's probably a good sign they have spent this year growing more bulblets and not leaves. 

Thank you for your helpimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

I bought some but they never flowered. Has anyone got them to flower?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

According to various sites, they won't be hardy in the uk. I'd lift them and put them in pots in the GH and plant out next spring, although they are sold as hardy on some sites.