Glut of apples

Having recently moved house, we have inherited a Bramley apple tree. There is only so much apple sauce and so many apple pies you can eat. We already give a lot away but there is still a glut. Is there anything else to with the excess apples?

Thank you.

• LovetogardenLovetogarden Posts: 755

Hi Hudson Belle.

I wish I lived near to you I would gladly buy a stone or two.They are the most wonderful apple. I have a small tree in the garden but it is a young tree and only just beginning to fruit to any sense. I buy Bramleys when I see them for sale on the roadside, try putting a for sale sign out I am sure you will have no trouble getting rid of them, cook and freeze them for winter, Apple crumble.delicious!.

• Thank you, freezing looks a good option.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,826

Core them and fill with dried fruit and the amount of Syrup you need to sweeten to your taste, bake in the Microwave until soft. Allow to cool and then freeze, They only need 2 minutes in the micro-wave to reheat and served with whatever you like from Custard to Creme Fraiche or even like me Soya cream they are lovely.

Hi again.

Make apple and blackberry jam, or apple chutney. There are plenty of recipes for apples on the internet. Enjoy!!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

They are extrardinarily early, are they fully ripe?  The book says picking time is mid-October.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

I thought that as wellimagethis must be last years crop that is being discussed surely-all the reports have been that this year's apple crop will be poor -I am puzzled and confused-there are no ripe English apples on any trees now to my knowledge.

I  assumed that the fruit was now on the tree, still growing and going to be harvested in the Autumn, God and weather permitting!, perhaps I am wrong.  Mine certainly aren't ready. Perhaps Hudson Belle will tell us!image We have a reasonable crop of apples coming on.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

But then Hudson Belle says she has recently moved- inherited the tree and already given a lot away-and made apple sauce and apple pies-can't work that bit out-please Hudson Belle come back and explainimage

• JanBiJanBi Posts: 11

I too usually have a glut of apples, and apart from giving some away, I make apple muffins,  They can be flavoured with many other ingredients.  Apple sorbet is very nice too, and can be made without a machine.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Damn I was hoping this mysterious post would have been cleared up by now!

Come back Hudson Belle!