Forum home Plants

Anyone able to ID this plant for me, please.

soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

In my back garden border I planted seeds from a box of 'wildflowers' that actually contains a mix of native, non-native, wild and cultivated flowers.

The plant in the centre of the picture has been growing quite slowly in the border, and there are several of them. The leaves have developed in a whorl but it doesn't look as if it will produce a flower.

Anyone know what it is?

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/funkydance/My%20Garden%202014/2014-08-18134122.jpg

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I don't know what it is but I'm guessing that it might be a biennial and will flower next year

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,874

Leaf looks a bit Veronica-like.
    Mine which finished flowering a couple of mths ago now look similar, but leaves more elongated.

Just a guess tho

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

It looks like one of those sugar loaf chicories. But I don't think the wild chicory has leaves like that. Maybe in the first year though, someone will knowimage

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811

Try Chinese lettuces....wai wai sai......or similar

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Thanks everyone, I checked out all the suggestions and there's no doubt in my mind now that it is chicory. The leaves in the images I found match exactly.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

That's nice, I love those blue flowers. Must get some more.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,473

I think it's an eating chicory. The  flowering chicory I have has leaves very much like a dandelion, especially as the first year rosette. I have a chicory similar to that out of assorted winter salad leaves.