Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomatoes

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Absolutely bumper year for everything this year, cant talk about toms any more, eating them like sweets, some in the freezer mums got, daughters got some 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I am never trying to grow tomatoes outdoors in the UK again. Not great last year and this year total disaster. Will stick to buying them in the shops 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

All mine are greenhouse grown. Only fed twice through the growing season and never overwatered.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

My Tomatoes plants were doing really well a little bit slow at ripening but were getting there. Until this weekend they were all on the floor, snapped my plastic/metal lined canes like match sticks and broken the nut what has the tomatoe wire attached to it. They didnt half weigh on when i picked them up though image 

• First year with a greenhouse and I've had a reasonable showing from those plants but my outdoor toms have been terrible!  BUT to put a little excuse on I was away from a month in June/July so they may have been not cared for as well as they should image

• So disappointed by my tomatoes. The last of them is pretty much dead now, and I've had not had one single fruit from six plants with three different varieties. They grew quite well in pots but then died off over July and August. Could be weather, could be blight. I'm not sure. What does blight look like?

Either way, I don't think I can face the disappointment of trying again next year. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Mind you, everything has been a disaster this year. Apart from a few radishes, I've failed with almost everything. I guess I just don't have the green fingers that I would have liked to have had!

• I have just finished harvesting the last of my tomatoes for this year - all grown outside in pots or grow bags against a sunny south west facing wall. I never grow tomatoes in my greenhouse. My neighbour does though and each year her crop is never as big as mine, not sure why as I would of thought it would be the other way around image

Excellent crops all summer long from Alicante, Aisla Craig, Principe Borghese and Sweet Millions, however, I would not grow those varieties again. Next year will go back to Moneymaker as they have been the tastiest ones I have ever tried. And maybe a beef tomato and a new cherry tom too.

ommthree, sorry to hear of your tom's not working out this year. Blight can make the leaves on your plant mottled and start to curl up, the stems and branches can start to go brownish and your unripe green fruit will start de-composing. You would definately know it if you saw it.  Don't get disheartened, I can't grow things here that my mum can 2 miles away! Sometimes it is just down to weather, location etc

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

got a lot of green ones in the freezer . chuntney recipe anyone image

• Thanks Mrs T. I'll try again next year with different varieties and a slightly sunnier bed. Maybe the weather will be better too!