Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomatoes

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Mine are only just now starting to produce. Mainly because I was dragged kicking and screaming to Australia for a month's holiday in June. A neighbour agreed to look after the garden for me. But it's terraced, with the toms on the second terrace. Hard work dragging the hose up steps and along a terrace. I didn't want to put her through the ordeal so I dug up the plants and stuck them into pots of various shapes and sizes on the terrace for easier access. I also put them mainly under cover because the weather was hot and she wasn't sure how often she could water.

So they spent a month in whatever pots I had handy, mainly in the shade. They survived, even if they were sprawling across the terrace and pretty scrappy.

Planted them out again when we got back. Took them a week or so to recover and get to work. Ate the first couple the other day with many more on the way.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

My outdoor variety cherry ones in pots ripened early and have been lovely, they are still maturing but no new flowers, looking wind swept and battered, even though in a sheltered place.  

The GH ones are slow to ripen and it's been that chilly today that the autovent hasn't even opened image I have opened the door to ventilate but closed it again at 5pm as it was only 14c in GH. image Think summer has done in S.Yorks.

• I have a glut of tomatoes outside but I doubt there will be enough sun now to ripen them.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I'm pleased Sue started this thread ,I couldn't understand what my Tom's were playing at .I bought mine as usual as small plants from plants direct, Jersey. I'd usually be seeing Tom's in my sleep by now and giving them away by the bowl full.I had my usual 6 yellow plus a green heirloom variety.(been as I do so well.)  I ended up putting the green heirlooms outside . Thought they must be outsiders as they didn't look so good in greenhouse.not much improvement had5 Tom's  up too now and at a guess I have about 3lb still on the six plants.the yellow ones in the greenhouse fared a little better  maybe had 4lb ,ripening very slowly and I'm back to buying from the supermarket .

Capsicum I have supposedly got 2 Brown 2 red  and two green plants up to now the capsicum s are all green on the 6 plants.. just keeping my fingers crossed for a better 2015 growing season  for us all .

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I must be one of the lucky ones. I have 4 bush tomato plants which have been very successful, variety Maskotka, started from seeds on the window sill and planted outside. Plenty of tomatoes ripened since mid July and only just slowing down where ripening is concerned with it being cooler and less sunny. I'm in generally balmy Surrey mind you! Two of them were mauled repeatedly by slugs or snails in the first 3 weeks or so but they've produced pretty well despite their slow start. My father in law got my spares and they have also done well in grobags. I tried these in pots last year and poked a spare into a space in the ground and got loads more from that one than the 2 in pots together. I really like this variety, easy to grow, tasty and their size- between cherry and small salad- seems to get them ripe ok. Anyone else tried these?

• Annie50Annie50 Posts: 6

Thought perhaps I was doing something wrong as I have only had about five or six ripe tomatoes. Any ripe ones left on our kitchen windowsill do disappear rather quickly, before they get into a salad - school holidays! Mine are in a small plastic greenhouse in the sun but I took the cover off while we were away for a week, just so the rain would get to them. Will try earlier start next year.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

My tom plants in the GH, look alot healthier this year but not as many toms on the plants. Some have gone red but most are still green. 

The one's outside in hanging baskets have been very poor, they started to fruit early and have all but stopped now.

One of my chilli plants though has alot of fruit going red, which I thought was a bit early for chillies, I'm convinced it was September time last year before these started to change colour.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...like Glamour Gardener above....no problems here...greenhouse...picking for weeks and plenty to come each day...  I fear ostracision over this...lol...

..not growing any reds, only orange and yellows.... and too many for us as usual,  but here's a few I picked today...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.