A summer's worth of work.

greenlovegreenlove Posts: 113

I had enough of a plain empty looking garden so this summer decided to put my back to it and get it sorted. The front garden was a patch of uneven grassy mess facing N-NW. So decide to plant an acer tree in the middle of it as a focal point and then planted various ferns, hostas, a fatsia japonica, patches of daffodils, bluebells, snow drops and some grasses. Quite surprisingly it also got covered with yellow poppies which I have no idea where they came from.

In the back garden I have a planted a rose border on one side which has around 15 roses. At the bottom of the garden I have gone for a cottage style garden dominated by yellows and oranges:

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,530

Lovely garden Green love, looks like you worked very hard the whole summer but so worth it, it looks lovely image

• greenlovegreenlove Posts: 113

One third of that corner which doesnt show in the pic has a 6' x 12' x 6' aluminium frame cage whhich protects 10 blueberry bushes planted in large size pots. I managed to get around 5 kg of blueberries this year which is not bad considering the bushes are less than 2' in height.

On the other side of the garden I decided to go for another mixed perenial garden dominated by whites, pinks and blues. The terracotta oil pot is really gorgeous and money well worth spent.

BM, thank you. It really has been hard work. I had to dig ll those surfaces with a spade to a depth of a foot and had to get rid of the top layer of soil (around half a foot) since it was so encrusted with garss roots that I had no other choice. Then I enriched all those areas with a mixture of compost and top soil. It's taken 1250 l of compost and 900 l of top soil.

Everything is still a work on progress. I got around 25 varieties of hostas from Bowden's which I planted on potts to give them a chance to establish. Next year I will plant them in soil mainly in the front garden together with a few ferns. Might add a few shade tolerant clematis to the front garden as well to add some colour to it in the summer months.

And I plan to add a few David Austin roses to the back garden as well as a few more varieties of plants which I like. One definite addition is going to be lupins and large poppy varieties. truly love both these plant varieties but never had the chance to get some decent specimens this year.

A few shots of individual plants a result of me practicing with my DSLR camera will follow gradually below.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Your garden is beautiful, greenlove, well worth the effort.image What is the name of the lovely rose?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,942

What a lot of work you've done. So satisfying image

The poppies will just have seeded in - they like damp shade so that's why they'll like your aspect there! Think they're the welsh ones if they flower just now. The other ones (icelandic poppies)  flower earlier, but I might have that the wrong way round image

Lovely views you have there too greenlove. Hope your garden goes from strength to strength. We have a Garden Gallery thread specially for pix of our gardens so put some on there in case others miss these image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,748

I love the mixture of plants you have there greenlove - very interesting plantingimage

You have also successfully ID'd one of my non-flowering mystery plants. Its leaves look exactly the same as your ligulariaimage

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

It looks lovely Greenlove, well done image

Thank you very much everyone.

Sue: The rose is called Double Delight. Flower retention is very good both in the garden and in a vase.

Fairygirl: I posted this here because I wasnt sure where to post. I'm not sure if admin are able to move the thread to the right place?

Victoria: I went to a garden centre and bought a few plants that I liked and used my apple tree as the starting point. As I carried on planting it became obvious that the yellows and oranges were the dominant colour so I carried on buying plants of those colours.

Whereas the white/pink/purple garden was actually planned from scratch. image

Orchid thank you. I have a nice collection of orchids in the house as well image