Potted plants for winter?

Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 143

Has anyone any ideas what I could plant in pots for some winter interest. 

Im thinking some cyclamen, crocus for early spring, followed by tulips later. Are there any nice colours that I could get by planting out anything else, although I know options are limited in winter. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,739

The winter pansies or the smaller violas are easy to find and give colour all winter Jesse. They're very happy in pots. You can use small evergreens like Hebes - the rounded, 'ball' types like Green Globe are particularly good - and also evergreen grasses like Carex Evergold,  which you could group together to give a larger display. Heucheras/Heucherellas are good foliage plants and there are lots of colours from bright greens and golds to  dark purples - many of them have contrasting veining. They'll grow happily in containers and most of these are happy in shade - even the Hebes will be fine over winter but will appreciate being moved into some sun in spring and summer.

Hope that gives you a couple of ideas  image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 143

That's brilliant, there's more than enough to get me planning there. Thanks so much image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I was wondering the same as I need to redo mine, thanks for asking Jesse and for the reply   FG, I have a Heucherlla I bought in offer the other week that has no home so that will be going in and I'm going to get some Cyclamen.....they seem quite expensive at the moment though?

That Euphorbia sounds nice Verdun, might look that up and Phormiums, thanks image

Not a fan of heathers though I'm afraid.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,739

Always have some Phormiums for pots - can't think why I didn't mention those Verd -  I love them as you know. I have Cream Delight which was a present and it's particularly attractive - nice smallish mound - lovely in a really strong statement type pot. I can put a pic on  for you if you like Jesse.

I've never done Euphorbias in pots but they are always interesting as a foil for flowers.

OL - the diy stores often have little packs of 4 or 6  around this time of year - I'm sure GCs and nurseries will as well. I usually buy them that way. image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

Thanks FG, I will have a look and definitely getting a Phormium (or two).

Cyclamens always make me feel christmassy image (Oops sorry...I'm not allowed to say that)

Ive just had another thought, not grown them before but this year I am getting some. Hyacinths Jesse, the smell is amazing and I think they will be lovely in early spring image

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,221

Ornamental cabbages. Some people hate the look of them, but I find them attractive, and they change colour with the frosts.

I've seen the needle and the damage done
    A little part of it in everyone
  • Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

This is an interesting thread, thanks for starting it. I too was wondering what I could do to make use of all the pots I filled with annuals this year, seems like there is lots of choice.