Forum home Tools and techniques

Storing potted herbs

I have some mints, marjoram , chives, rosemary etc in glazed pots. When the weather starts to turn do I bring them into the garage and store them by a sun facing window? Will it keep them ok till next spring? 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I leave them all outside, but I put my rosemary next to the house wall to give it some warmth and shelter from the sun. You could do that with the marjoram too. Chives and mint should be fine outside

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025

Yes, all of them will be fine outside. Just remember that rosemary is not a long lasting herb - maybe take some cuttings now?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,169

If you are thinking about your pots cracking you could wrap fleece or bubble wrap around them if it gets very cold - not any part of the plants though.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,805

Mint and chives will die right down and disappear so don't panic - they're perfectly hardy and will reappear in the spring.image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

You could bring the mint and chives in so that you can carry on using them; I have some on the kitchen windowsill.image

• Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 150

Brilliant, I might bring them inside the garage if it gets very cold, but that's great to know. If I take some rosemary cuttings now do I need a greenhouse? will the cuttings be ok in compost inside a window? 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I will bump this, as I have never done woody cuttings; perhaps someone else will know, or start a separate thread for the rosemary cuttings.image