Comfrey

Hi, need a little help before I run out to buy some seeds, I found this growing wild in my allotment and just wanted to know if its Comfrey or not please, if anyone can help =)

• No, it's a plant called Pilosella aurantiaca, commonly called Fox and cubs, pretty little plant, but definitely not comfrey!
  • aww damn... Thought it was image oh well, looks like am off to buy some comfrey seeds today... Was hoping that I had it just growing in my garden already. Thanks for the help though

lol sorry to be a pain, but can you identify this for me please...

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,220

One of the willowherbs. Not rosebay willowherb

clarky you've got quite a lot of invasive stuff there. Are you sure you want to add comphrey. The native comphrey, Symphytum officinale, is a huge plant that seeds around everywhere and the roots are deep. I have some in my wild garden but I wouldn't recommend it for a 'normal' garden.

But perhaps you don't have a 'normal' gardenimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,587

Think that's one of the willowherbs

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,587

Oh, didn't see you there Nut image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

'Morming Doveimage

• Hi, thanks for the replies, I have two massive allotments side by side, have quite a bit of space, these are just at the back of one of the gardens, "invasive" that makes them sound hard work to get rid of lol, although its only like this cause I've not used that backend this year.

At the back of the other, I have a space were nothing is, I was planning on putting a couple of comfreys in there so I can harvest the leaves, its easily 4x4 metres and coincidentally it used to be the spot that we dumped our ashes and emptied the potted plants compost on to so its out of the way from the main parts of the garden that we grow in image

Thanks for the help, advice; dove, nut image

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 3,974

Comphrey is the bain of my life.  Its sprouts up everywhere once you have it.  I cant get rid of it and I never even planted one.  I wouldnt have it anywhere near my garden.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands