Forum home Plants

What is this plant?

MaisieMMaisieM Posts: 84

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/bruichladdich/DSC001312_zps423d728e.jpg

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,213

It looks like knautia but I dont know what variety.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

Astrantia, maybe?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Astrantia definitely.

Verdun might even know which cultivarimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,618
    Yes, astrantia image
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,562

Looks dark enough to be Astrantia Roma

• MaisieMMaisieM Posts: 84

Thank you all! I'm a very amateur gardener - just went to the local nursery & asked for plants that would grow in my area. Filled the car with plants but didn't make a note of the ones I didn't know - even my keen gardening neighbour couldn't help with this one!

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

This comes in a variety of colours, from green and white (my personal favourite) to deep reddish pink, darker than this one - which is very pretty.   It will seed about, so make a not of how the leaves look so you can leave it where you want it in future, and pull out ones to give away, when you don't want them there. 

Do hope you did note which plants liked what conditions when you bought them, some prefer damp shade and others anything but for example?

• MaisieMMaisieM Posts: 84

Do hope you did note which plants liked what conditions when you bought them, some prefer damp shade and others anything but for example?

Nope - just told him which house we live in (fairly small community) & he gave me plants to suit. So far, so good - some went in last autumn & some this spring & all are doing well. Not a huge garden & fairly uniform soil/shade conditions.