Forum home Plants

ID needed please on this shrub and advice if possible to be dug out and moved?

2»

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Thanks nutcutlet, I am away to investigate

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

I do that all the time Lily - when anyone mentions  Laurel,  I think of the bog standard one - it's because the bays aren't always very hardy in our weather! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

You are so right Fairy, I have lost so many bays.  Bought 2 this year, absolute beauties but they will be going into the greenhouse come the cold winds.  Talking of which it's getting pretty blustery. Feeling nervous, 4 weeks ago tree down, then two weeks ago another. It's always Saturday. Bizarre

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Is it not obvious if it is a bay if you just tear a leaf and smell it!!??
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

Good thinking Welsh! image

Lily - I often wonder if GCs and nurseries give appropriate advice when people buy bay trees up here. Unless you've got a conservatory or greenhouse for overwintering it's no use having them. Or maybe they hope the customers will just keep coming back for another when the first one dies...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Lily - what shame. The wind is whipping up here too.    Hope all goes well this eveningimage

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991

Bays seem to get hardier the bigger they get. My friend (in Moray) so fairly  far up north, has a huge one in her back garden. Me, further south but still in Scotland, can' t get one past a few years!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,003

Ive stopped buying them.  I always used to have a pair, one either side of the front door but I always lost just one.  This meant that I would have to buy two new ones as I never seemed to be able to match one to the remaining bay.  I got so fed up with having odd ones that I decided not to buy any more.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands