Forum home Talkback

Feed borders now?

Hi,

just watching tonight's GW on iplayer.  Monty's feeding his pots with comfrey.  Does this apply to borders too?  Ie is it worth giving my rose bed, clematis, and herbaceous border an extra boost (I use rose feed on roses, tomato feed on clematis, and bfb/ chicken manure pellets on herb)  now?  or is it too late in the season?  For some reason I thought you shop stop June/July time.

ta,

Snoodle.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

I give the soil a feed in Spring with fish , blood and bone.

If you feed perennials in borders now, you get soft growth and more damage with the frosts. The only exception I would make is for dahlias in full flower,where I would give a high potash feed, such as comfrey, tomorite or phostrogen.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Ooh, that's very handy advice, Fidget.  I fed my borders in April and then June, and then thought I should stop.  I've got dahlias so will just do them with a bit of tomato feed.  New borders, so just working out what to do!  Ta v much!

• Oh pants, I'm watching last weeks GW.  I missed the beginning last week so didn't realise til further in.  Muppet!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

I love that clip of the jewel garden at the beginning.

I'm watching back issues of beechgrove.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Gorgeous, isn't it.  

Of course, it looks just like my herb border imageimageimage

Unfortunately I'm up to date with Beechgrove. Grumbly that there doesn't appear to be a GW tonight.  Would go to bed and listen to GQT on the radio podcast but I can't drink my beer lying down....

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,544

What station is GQT on super noodle? Hope you didn't spill any beer last night!

glad you posted this thread as I was wondering too about the feeding

What about a newly planted border of bargain shrubs that are bit yellow looking? Shall I give them a little feed of something? image