raised beds

can you use rail sleepers to make raised beds for growing veg?

DD

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633

Yes

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,947

I think you may have to be careful if they are covered in creosote.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633

You can staple a layer of thick plastic compost sacks to the inside to separate creosote or tar from soil.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 131

Thanks ...DD

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,042
    Sorry - have only just found this thread.

The main problems with sleepers is the creosote content (as pointed out above). Whenever it gets really hot there is risk of preservative oozing out and the sleepers becoming sticky. FB has suggested a way to protect the soil & plants but you still risk brushing against them whenever you're working or harvesting round them. Tar on your clothes is not great & I would still have concerns around leaching into the soil.

Personally I'd stay clear for this particular use. I wanted a similar look and used pressure treated pine sleepers for mine. They have a pleasant chunky look same as railway sleepers & are strong and durable.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down