Please confirm these are greens of some type...

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,407

My 'veg patch' is starting to irritate me - it's getting a bit sprawly.

I sowed spinach beet and kale amongst other things, could anyone confirm these are those things and not just random weeds before I give them to my hens?

The shiny leaved ones look like spinach beet to me but I'm not sure pic 3 is kale image

Thank youimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

The first two look like spinach, spinach beet, chard - something like that.  

Don't know about the third image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,407

Cool- thanks Dove - I'll thin out the shiny leaved ones for a start then.image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115
    I think the third one is ragwort. Best not give it to the hens.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,170

Agree with Dove re the first Victoria..........looks like my perpetual Spinach which I grow for my Chickens.......they love itimage

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    The third could be some sort of kale, but if you havent sown any, best give it to the chooks image
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,378

Is ragwort ok for hens? Welsh didnt think so.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks Welshonion- I'll grow those ones on and see- I have had a flurry of what I think is ragwort over the past few weeks.image

Unfortunately Philippa my selfish chickens are sick of greens as my neighbours keep dropping off their holey leaves but they can have what they're given.image

I did sow kale Bekkie, it just doesn't look like the photo on the packet...image

I won't give ragwort or unknown stuff to the hens Lyn, although for ex bats they are pretty garden wise and don't seem inclined to eat anything dodgyimage

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    There is a weird and wonderful one summat fizz, it looks like that, but not worth the risk - id rather have eggs than greens image

I only get 1 egg every few days now. Very selfish birdsimageimage