Forum home Plants

peonies

MezlewMezlew Posts: 4

My peonies do not flower. what am i doing wrong

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,483

Two reasons why they do not flower. 1. The top of the buds are too deep. they need a period of cold ripening to initiate flowering. So if the buds are more than say an inch below soil level they will bot flower. Uncover them. Many of ours are out of the soil all together. ". They are hungry. Paeonies are gross feeders. Give them a good feed now with a general fertiliser and then a high potash one in later winter.

• MezlewMezlew Posts: 4

Thank you. we are putting in new beds so would it be a good idea to completely remove them and winter in a dark place until next spring??

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,834

One other thing if they are young they do take a couple of years before producing flowers.  Ive planted two new ones this year and dont really expect to see flowers until 2016.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

Thank you.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,483

No, digging them up and storing like that would do them no good at all. They would dry out and probably die. If you need to move them then put in big pots with as much soil as possible, if you cannot replant immediately. Moving them will delay flowering too.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,376

I'd agree with Berghill - just pot them up for now. They do quite well in pots anyway if you give them the right attention. Just watch the level they're planted at for the reason already stated. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you guys. You've been very helpful. Didn't think anyone would reply!! never been in any forum before. I'm glad I did now !!

x

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Its not sarah bern-thingy is it?
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Sarah Berhardt, big blowsy light pink petals that are too heavy for the stems to hold up? That's the one I've got, it was a Gardeners' World offer a few years ago. I'd prefer a single flower one that doesn't flop

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    A few of us realised that we had all had to wait a while for that particular one to flower, were the burgundy one flowers and spreads like a weed, just seems an awkward variety, i wondered uf that could be mezlews problem image