winter boarder

I am thinking of a winter boarder along the lawn this winter could anyone advise me please. I want colour and plants that are no too high. I live on Anglesey North Wales close to the coast.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Are you thinking of bedding plants? What do you class as too high?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,908

Snowdrops, cyclamen and early dafs [ February Gold for eg ] would be a good starting point, as would early fowering crocus..

Most other things I would use would be shrubs, but they will tend to grow tall. See if you can find pictures of the Winter garden at Cambridge University which is magnificent.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • AEEAEE Posts: 26

Fleurisa - I am thinking more on the lines of bedding plants and i think 300mm to 450mm max in hight

punkdoc - thanks I shall look up Cambridge University Winter garden

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Xmas box is nice and dosent get too tall, sweetly scented flowers and evergreen image
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,455

A row of primula firedragon will light up a border.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0007309--1/primula-fire-dragon/

Plugs can be grown on and then planted out in Autumn.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,637

I think violas and pansies are perfect for that. They come in lots of colours and you can buy plug plants from catalogues, not expensive. They will last until June. Also those pompom pink and white bedding daisies, primulas and coloured primroses.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hellebours (spelling?), are lovely too image
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,872

Maybe Heuchera, they come in lovely warm shades. Then you can divide/split them and make loads more. I have just done that.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AEEAEE Posts: 26

ok learnt something new , there is a lot of choice for a winter boarder. thanks for the ideas will follow them up.