grass cuttings

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

can anyone tell me if grass cuttings are any good for compast asi habve access to huge pilesof it and can i use it alone or do ineed to add anything else to it to use it also i noticed on the tv how well the anilmals are doing on the australian golf courses since they started useing nitrogen on the grass the animals eating the grass are now in very good condition all round it seems i know our tarmers use it but anyone know how to use it properly and where to gat it from cheers

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,131

Best source of Nitrogen for grass cuttings is male human urine.

The more different plant material there is in compost the better it is, but grass properly rotted down is better than nothing. Not easy to get to rot properly as it tends to go anaerobic and instead of decomposing, it turns into slime. The way to overcome this is either to turn the heap frequently or make air holes in it by pushing a bar down into the heap and waggling it about to make ahole.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

many thanks for that, can i buy nitrogen for the allotment do you think its anygood useing to it

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

You cant buy nitrogen as such-but all plant foods contain levels of nitrogen as do animal manures-plants convert the nitrogen in to growth so a high nitrogen feed will promote green leaves but at the expense of flowers -it is all about the correct balance and what you are trying to grow- it depends on how you feed the soil and the plants

thank you sotongeoff, have you any idea which is the best way to feed an allottment and any makes you can recomend

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    4711 wrote (see)

... i noticed on the tv how well the animals are doing on the australian golf courses since they started using nitrogen ...

The program about the kangaroos on the golf course was brilliant, wasn't it.

It's best (essential) to make compost from materials that contain both nitrogen and carbon.

Generally, stuff that looks green is nitrogen-rich; and brown material is carbon-rich. Newspapers, cardboard and wood are carbon-rich.

It's a good idea to mix shredded newspaper or cardboard with grass cuttings.

Cheers Gary Hobson cardboard going in

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

Manure is rich in nitrogen (although it looks brown). I would imagine that kangaroo droppings are rich in nitrogen. So, the kangaroos would in fact fertilise the golf course. But I imagine that the course owners employee people to sweep up the kangaroo droppings, and then they employee more people to reapply the nitogren in the form of 'clean' pellets.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Most of my grass cuttings go to the green-waste collection. Having seen the efforts that went into trying to compost Bowling green cuttings and the failure there of, it took a lot of effort to remove years of black sticky waste and nothing would grow where it had been.
    If there is plenty of woody or plant material I mix in a thin layer of grass cutting but there is too much to add it all, I also add some uric acid, the human kind collected in a bottle in the garage with the doors shut if you do not want to be arrested. Mix that with a watering can of water and sprinkle it on the compost as you add to the pile.
    Nitrogen is part of all fertiliser whatever the mix and too much of any of it will burn or kill your plants. It greens up the plants often to the detriment of the plant flowering or fruiting, it will make the plant green and soft. Tomato fertiliser is a mix of Nitrogen Urea Phosphorus and Potassium (Potash) NPK.
    You need a balance of feed to suit the plant and what it is actually doing, like your own diet a good mix little but often is better than stuffing your gut.
    If you grow peas beans and other nitrogen producing roots then you have a fertile area for next years rotation crop.

Frank.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    4711 wrote (see)

thank you sotongeoff, have you any idea which is the best way to feed an allottment and any makes you can recomend

Get your hands on as much organic matter as you can-including your compost-your fellow allotments holders will help with supply and offer loads of help and advice no doubt-get the soil in great shape first then you could add something like growmore at planting time.

many thanks to everybody for the info ,really helpfull,got a bucket in the shed now Palaiglide and an old shower curtain ,,know what i mean cheers everybodyimage