Forum home Talkback

Lavender

Hi can anyone help I sent for the offer on here of 48 lavender plants for the cost of postage, when they came about 6 weeks ago they were very small plugs repotted them into small pot & placed them in my utility room, they have grown into nice small plants ( I did loose a few ) I need to no if I put the out into the flower beds or do I have to wait till next year image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,572

I'd protect them this winter. If we get another wet one like last year they won't like that.

A cold frame or cold GH is where I'd put them. Not yet but early enough that they're not already saturated when they go in.

• Thanks nutcutlet I take it I should keep watering them a little between now & when they are ready to go out next year. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,568

I'd keep them on the dry side during the winter - they can cope with cold, what they don't like is cold and wet.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ok thanks
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,213

Mine grew pretty quickly - might be worth potting them on before winter sets in.  I agree with the others though - coldframe and quite dry for their first winter then they really romp awayimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • Ok will do as they are getting big I do keep checking underneath to see if I can see any roots none showing yet & I dint have a cold frame or GH so will have to keep em in spare room they are stood on a large tray for watering so can easily carry them up later on in the year at the moment they are in my utility room soaking up the su ( when its out lol ) thanks for all the info

Hi LB - not sure a spare room is ideal for lavender - can you find a place outside and rig up some sort of shelter for them ?  Maybe some old bricks and a plank, or under a garden bench ?

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,572

I wouldn't have them in the spare room yet lb, even if you have to resort to that in midwinter. On another thread someone was talking about using a plastic box as a cold frame. I wouldn't leave anything under that in the long term unless it had vents in the side, but it's something you might consider on wet days so they don't get drowned

• Hi I have a large veg planter on legs they could go under there should they be out now & what about my shed in winter?

I'd keep them out in a normal place til about November, then move them out the worst of the wet then - under the veg planter sounds a good idea. I would not put them in a shed, as they will want some light.