Ponds

Hi, I want to set up a wildlife pond in my small courtyard. Thinking of a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft galvanised cattle water trough. Free standing, not dug into the ground. Would I need a filter and pump? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

The whole idea of a wildlife pond is that it's natural, it's what you plant in the pond that's important. A pond will if planted correctly with native pond plants will after a season look after itself, no filtration is needed, just careful management of what goes into the pond.

Take a look at the link below to the rhs, there's plenty of advice there.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/Profile?pid=622

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,806

Hi,  I'm not sure how successful a wildlife pond it could be if it stood 2ft tall - how would frogs, newts etc get into it and what about the essential shallow areas?

There's some info on this earlier thread http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/wildlife-ponds/2103.html 

But get the right balance of plants and you don't need filters. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,256

I think the difficulty with creating a true wildlife pond here will be that it's raised. Insects will be able to fly in but there'll be no access for life without wings.

A pump and filter are not wildlife pond items. 

What aspects of a wildlife pond would you like to create? 

• Thank you all for your comments. I am really interested in attracting amphibians and was planning some sort of built up ramp with logs and plants etc for entry and exit along the 4ft back of the trough. I would then try and create shallow areas in the pond with upturned terracotta planters etc.. I have not seen any preformed pools which 'fit the bill"  - I thought this might work. 

You need shallow 'beaches' sloping down into the water rather than shallow areas 

I know this is a bit bigger than you had in mind, but it's actually a very small pond. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Thank you Dovefromabove. That looks beautiful. Unfortunately I have a very small courtyard garden so some form of container pond is essential.

Right, let's think again .................... image

• image I cannot find anything more suitable.. just wooden lined rectangles etc... difficult! I appreciate your help though!  

• Thank you so much Dovefromabove!