Forum home Problem solving

Closeboard panels or Lap panels

Hi, we are hoping to move to a new home soon and I have to replace the fence panels. 

Closedboad panels are better than Lap Panels?

Thanks in advance



  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

    Look around- if you see a broken fence panel it is usually a lap one -they are the cheaper if not the cheapest end of the market-as with most things you get what you pay for-buy the best in your price bracket

    The most important thing are the fence posts- check they they are not rotting if they are the wooden type-you don't want your hard work collapsing in the first high wind

  • I reckon there are a couple of other things worth adding to Geoff's comments -  1) you can put a horizontal board at ground level first & this can then be replaced if & when any rot sets in - cheaper & simpler than replacing the whole close-board bit.....  and 2) I'd suggest is that you consider whether you want the horizontal supports to be visible on your side of the plot - it's usually the "best" side which the neighbours see!

  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

    If you live in a very windy area, think about fencing with a space between the boards. We replaced our fence a couple of years ago, taking the advice of a good fence repair person to do this, and it was the best advice we had in many a year.  The place in which the fence is had acted as a wind tunnel between us and our neighbours besides keeping all of the sun out of their garden.  Now the wind is broken up and does not swirl and buffet around the plants so much, and our neighbour can grow more plants because they have more light - everyone pleased - though none of it has helped witht the rain, sadly. 

  • Antonio2Antonio2 Posts: 5

    Thanks everyone for the information.

Sign In or Register to comment.