Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dragon fruit

There are so may exotic fruit & veg in our supermarkets these days, and I assume may posters here have a go at cultivation from the seeds.... no matter how unlikely the outcome! I've succeeded (without any great skill) in growing some Dragon fruit (aka Pitaya) seedlings this Spring which are now like little inch-high cacti. I believe that they can grow considerably bigger in the tropics. Not sure how to look after the half dozen I've kept. Anyone grown these in the UK and with what success?

• Miss BecksMiss Becks Posts: 3,468

No, I haven't, but it is something that would interest me as I would like to try to do them as well. I am currently trying to germinate Musa Acuminata (Dwarf Banana), and it's only been 3 weeks so far, but it can take months for them to germinate apparently.

I will keep an eye on this thread to see what other posters say, and save the thread for info.

Well done you for getting them germinated though! image

No exotic fruit growing experts on the forum? image

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

Apparently not. Another slightly exotic one to try is the Cape Gooseberry which is very easy to grow and an impressive addition to a GH, conservatory or sheltered sunny corner of the garden... it can grow quite big. The fruit, rather like a little tom, is very sweet and tastey if left well into autumn to ripen. Mine originated off the garnish of a restaurant meal!

Wow! I will have a look at that.

I was messing around on YouTube earlier, looking up some Banana videos, and there were quite a few videos on Dragon Fruits on there.  There were ones from germination to aftercare. (I was also looking at coffee plants! Would love to try a coffee plant! image)

Don't expect an instant result!

No, I wouldn't. I don't think I have the right enviroment for a coffee plant anyway. Maybe as a unusual indoor plant at the most.

'Instant'... coffee...I'll get my coat.

Instant out the jar?! LOL I think that's the best I'll get. image

• yakramyakram Posts: 20
    paull2 wrote (see)

There are so may exotic fruit & veg in our supermarkets these days, and I assume may posters here have a go at cultivation from the seeds.... no matter how unlikely the outcome! I've succeeded (without any great skill) in growing some Dragon fruit (aka Pitaya) seedlings this Spring which are now like little inch-high cacti. I believe that they can grow considerably bigger in the tropics. Not sure how to look after the half dozen I've kept. Anyone grown these in the UK and with what success?

Hi. Well done.  A couple of years ago I managed to germinate 4.  The strongest one I potted into cactus compost.  After a few months it was obviously intending to be a hanging cactus, so I put it into a hanging pot.  Guess what?  It has now decided to grow skywards! image  The other three have decided more or less to grow upwards, but in a lax manner.  I understand a common name is Queen of the Night, and it could be a Hylocereus.  We may have to wait several years for them to flower; I hope the flowers are worth staying up all night for. image  I'm trying to grow mangoes this year. image

Thanks for that. Yes the dragon seems a bit of a monster to look after (especially if it's very prickly ) but I'll keep going until it becomes too much.