Forum home Talkback

parsnips

does anyone know if i can sow parsnips in august thank you

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi image, not if you live in the uk, sorry but they are usually sown in feb/march. image
  • Of course you can as that is the time that parsnips produce seed themselves. Better to sow later, perhaps the end of November or early December. Even in Newfoundland where I live this seems to be the best way to start parsnip seed.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I agree with Bekkie Feb is the "usual" time to sow parsnips but depending on the winter you have had March is often best in the UK.

• There are a number of veg that can be autumn sown in the UK and parsnips are one of them. The seed do not usually germinate until the spring but can get a good start before the soil really becomes workable. The longer the growing season that they can get the better. In southern England would expect the seed to begin to show in late January or February. Parsnip seeds are quite delicate, but once growing, seem to be very resilient to changing weather conditions. marksman065 did not say why an August planting is desired but it could be done, but I would leave it until late November.

Can't argue with that Dids image  but in Yorks it sadly wouldn't work, soil already too wet and compacted image

I've also found parsnip very slow to germinate here, even in March/April. Always used fresh seed so that wasn't the problem. Wish I could get a head start image

• I grow my own seed each year and I have about enough for small field from this years crop! Packeted parsnip seed here can be very unreliable as there seems to be no requirement to date the packets. The soil is shallow, rocky and well drained so I grow White Gem" parsnips for best results. I would guess that Yorkshire should not be too different to St. John's Newfoundland&Labrador depending how far North and how high you are). The ground here is also too wet (and often snow covered) to plant early in the Spring. Planted in the autumn the parsnip seed do not seem to mind and come spring are there as the snow goes away. Perhaps it might be worth it for you to give is a try by planting a fresh packet in about a months time. I normally sift the soil I use to cover the seeds as the germinating seeds are easily damaged by small stones etc.

Thanks for the information didsmft image We are about 1,000m above sea level ( I think) and our soil is clay which has been improved over the years. I might have a go at sowing some parsnip in November if I do I will let you know the results.