Forum home Talkback

What is wrong with my apple tree leaves?

I have a Cox's Orange Pippin tree and a Bramley Apple tree, and both of them are suffering from a disease/pest I cannot identify, so I don't know what to do to cure them.

Not having uploaded photos to this site before I do not know whether these have succeeded!

Is there a product I can spray on the trees to cure them of this, and if so, when should I do it. The problem does not affect the apples, which grow beautifully.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,899

I reckon you are looking at a trace element deficiency there. Look up Magnesium deficiency in Apples and see if that matches.

• Thanks, Berghill. I'll Google it!

• Google has unearthed the solution to the problem. We live in France, so I had to look up Epsom Salts in French. But can you tell me how to use it, what quantities and when to apply?

I am surprised in some ways that the apples are perfect, magnesium deficiency goes hand in hand with Bitter pit (Calcium deficiency). Still, how much is more difficult, Never had to use it myself. The recommended dose as a foliage feed is 1 tablespoon to one gallon of water for each foot in height of the tree. Work that one out!

I would also suggest that you test the pH of your soil as that can effect the uptake of trace elements from the soil.

Best of luck!

Could well be. Not easy from a photo to be positive about which problem it is.

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Hi, I tend to check the soil ph. Using a general fertiliser in spring then test soil a month later if leaves dont look healthy. Apples look nice and solid, good growth image