Forum home Garden design

Landscaping my garden

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,541

Hi CC what you have is really good already image Great pics

I do like decking but don't like cleaning it and how slippy it gets all the time image

I think what Salino said about privacy when chatting in the evening outside is true,, what I have done is created three seating areas, all have different aspects in which to enjoy my garden and I just select area to sit pending which neighbours are out image

You could easily fit another area at least in your lovely big garden image

Did you see love my garden yet? Just curious if you liked any ideas from it image

Late home again tonight cc so please keep me posted as looking forward to what you do image

• I'll be honest, the garden isnt overly bad, but it has swathes of concrete that I want to remove. The basics are in there, it just needs some adding to. 

Havent yet seen LYG, but hopefully will see it later this evening. 

As the garden is west facing, the majority of the sun is nearest the house in the evening, plus the big scots pines just behind our garden, does shelter it somewhat late afternoon. 

How about a straw poll? Would I be better off placing the decking/patio area directly outside of the french doors, or would I be better to place the area for dining outside of the kitchen window, between extension and garage?

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...between extension and garage was my initial favourite for this... but as always it's what you want really... take time to think more about it perhaps..

anyway...bumping..in case anyone else has any suggestions...

...I like your shed.... you do need a path direct to the door though.... you won't want to walk on that grass all the time...

Yes I agree have the dining area between extension and garage, and afternoon tea outside the patio doors image 

• Watched this weeks LYG, and can see what you mean. It has many of the features that we are looking to put in, although I'll steer clear of the pond with very young child! 

Been working on it again today, cleared all of the concrete behind the garage and removed the remains of the old shed, took up the block paved bit and removed some of the soil in front of the doors. 

Still a fan of decking, if its done right. I mentioned the alternative deck area to my wife earlier but she still favours being right in the garden rather than in an enclosed space. I must say that since it was mentioned, i've started having a vision of how that area could look given some trellising on the walls, considered planting and a bit of lighting for an evening.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..you must run with your own ideas on this really....hard landscaping is such a personal taste... I think we here are better able to advise on plants and planting combinations.... 

I don't think we were suggesting that you have the decking between extension and garage, but more a decorative patio area for dining out... and no decking at all...so bit of a misunderstanding there maybe... 

...I agree that decking wouldn't look right in that position...

...I like your other idea of some trellising and plantings on the walls.... that would look really good I think...bit of an enclosed area...it could become quite lush...

...best of luck....

Have both CC image I thought you was the wife and thought omg how did you do all that today! image

Def agree about the pond and to be honest didn't really think it that nice

In our house when we moved in there was already decked area, sort of passageway down the side of kitchen anD never liked it but my OH took it all up and re layed with smooth side up and stained it and it looked really lovely, like a wooden floor in a room.  

It is still a pain keeping it clean but always pleased when it's done image

In our little town there is a house which the guy lives in but also opens all his rooms like a cafe restaurant type place, anyway in the garden part he has strings of fairy lights strung across really high and looks magical at night. Maybe you could put some up from garage and across to the extension and then after your guests have finished dining in your wife's preferred place you could then all move to other area when it gets late and you want to natter in private image

• Lol thanks BM! No its been some hard work today to clear what has been done. 6-8 inches deep concrete was not what I expected! Got a fair bit more to clear but different stuff so hopefully not as thick.

With regards to the decking, is the smooth side not a little slippery?

Hi, hope we get progress report this weekend image

Its no more slippy than ridged side as long as kept clean image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,147

Just found this thread and not read it thoroughly but thanks for the compliments Salino image

Hi cc, you've been very busy already and I wish you well with all your plans. Apologies if you've said which direction the garden faces and I've missed it, but just looking at your pix and plan I'd suggest that whatever medium you go for in your seating/dining areas, you link the bit outside your french doors with the enclosed area between the buildings and use only one surface, as it gives a more cohesive look.  If the whole area is in enough sun then decking would be fine. It's slippy when it's wet if in too much  shade and that's where people go wrong - they simply  use it in the wrong place. If it's too shady, moss builds up on it during wet weather which causes the issue. I had it in a previous garden leading from french doors and I loved it - barefoot on a sunny morning for my breakfast. That faced south east and had sun from early morning till mid afternoon.  I cleaned mine once a year with a stiff brush and water with some washing up liquid. For deep shade, I only ever use gravel as it's non slip, so you could have paving on the main area and graduate into more gravel in the enclosed area which will still work well. I'd avoid mixing decking and paving as it's difficult to marry the two together successfully.

I also noticed that you have a gate from the side of the property leading into the enclosed part so that will have a bearing on what you put down and how you use it. If you have a big table to put there it may restrict the gate  - so measure carefully! I can see what others are saying re sitting on the area outside the doors as you have the  neighbouring garden/conservatory there, but you also seem to have a bit of space next to the fence so you could have some shrubs to provide screening there to make it more private. That's the obvious area for bigger meals as you have direct access from the doors, and you could always have a bench or a small 'bistro' table with a couple of chairs in the enclosed area for a morning coffee, or a quiet place to take a little break and contemplate your vision! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....