Forum home Plants

ID please!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Dove you knicked my moment of glory LOL image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,112

Serves you right for maligning me the other day KEF - TCP gargle indeed imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pretty sure it is this, thanks all for your responses. Now to get digging.....image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

It is yes , Spirea douglasii,

I couldn't bring the name up to the front of the brainimage

I've yet to find a spirea that pleases me. Not that I've looked very hardimage

• WaysideWayside Posts: 801

It looks similar to my 'spiraea douglasii', but mine hasn't the serrated leaves.  Looking at pokeweed images, it looks as if that should berry.  Whereas the spiraea flowers brown off.

I love mine.  It has taken a year or so to get it going.  The top snapped off in the wind, but it's hardened up since then.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/22834/Steeple-bush/Details

Suggests you can prune back hard after flowering.  They have a suckering habit.

A gardener friend of mine thinks the bare stems during winter are ugly.  I love the fluffy pink flowers on mine.

• soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Hi nutcutlet, if you ever do want to grow a spirea I can recommend the one I have in my garden. It's a hybrid, Spiraea × cinerea 'Grefsheim'.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1873

It is covered in lovely, small white flowers in spring and early summer. In fact it's the first of my shrubs to flower every year. It has an arching habit once established. I've only ever pruned it once to stop it from encroaching on some lilies I had planted, but generally I let it it do it's own thing.

It's deciduous and keeps it's leaves until the first hard frost. Bees love it.

• WaysideWayside Posts: 801

@soulboy, gorgeous.  Like a large snowmound (s.nipponica).   I think I saw some monster versions similar to these flowering in July near Hebden Bridge.  Brings back memories of flowering Hawthorns.  They were were fantastic this year.

Have any of the spireas got anything to offer apart from flowers? I like a good shaped bush or attractive leaves or berries in addition to flowers?

• soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Hi Wayside, yes mine is exactly like a big snowmound when it flowers. It is gorgeous.

Hi Nutcutlet, the spirea I posted about has a lovely arching aspect so when in flower it looks like a big snowmound as Wayside pointed out, And then until it loses its leaves in winter it has very attractive light green foliage. In winter it provides a little height and shape to the garden with it's thin branches.

Thanks soulboy, that might be worth considering. I'm looking for more shrubs for the garden. As time goes on I find I need more large plants to cut down on the maintenance.