Forum home Tools and techniques

Compost/Manure

I have been offered chicken bedding/manure (from the floor of a barn where chickens were kept.)  It looks like dryish brown compost with some chicken manure and feathers!  It doesn't have a strong smell - however, would it need to be kept until next year to rot down?

I need to make my raised flower beds and potager a bit deeper so wondered if it would be suitable to mix with soil?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I would put it in the compost heap so the weather can get at it. If it is very dry it may not have rotted sufficiently and it will burn any plants which come into contact with it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,031

I agree with Welshonion - compost it.  It will make a wonderful activator for your compost heaps and by next spring it'll be fantastic image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for your advice guys. My garden is very tiny so don't have a compost heap. I could put it in a container but presumably that would need drainage at the base. The only place it could go is in the corner of my little potager, which is the size of a medium sitting room! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,031

Then I'd dampen it a bit (it's not good for your lungs to handle dry dusty chicken manure anyway) bag it into sturdy black bin bags - tie the tops then puncture the bags all over so that moisture gets in and leave them in a dark dank corner for the rain to get in and it will rot down over the winter.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Great idea. Thanks very much.image

• It makes a good organic fertiliser for soil.  

If it's "fresh" then make sure you handle it wearing gloves and a dust mask.   Also be aware that it can attract foxes and other vermin.

You'll be able to use it as a spring top dressing.   It will be particularly useful spread round rhododendrons and azaleas.

• As an ex Dental Nurse I am sure I have a couple of masks and gloves somewhere! Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.