Forum home The potting shed

Building a potting shed or logcabin for half the price.

Hello, my name is Anthony Fowler and I am new to the forum,i have been gardening for some time, but i love oriental gardens, so this year i rearranged my garden and started laying out an oriental theme.

whilst designing the garden i decided to biuld a logcabin and decking around the carden, and i thought i would write and tell you how i did it.

I have over twenty years of building and Joinery experience so when I decided to build a log cabin I did what most people do and spend hours on the internet looking at different styles, shapes and sizes of cabins.

And yes all seemed to be very expensive for what they were, so I thought how could I build one for less? The first thing I did was research! This was a vital part of the pre-build, as I needed a benchmark.

After searching the internet making a list of how much the cabins sold for retail, I then visited the local garden centres, builders merchants and garden furniture shops I soon realised that for the size I wanted which was a 6mx4m cabin I was looking at a price of around £6000 WOW you might say and so did I.

So what I did was go back to the garden centre, choose which cabin I liked then I took lots of picture of the inside and out paying particular attention to the internal framework, windows, doors and the roof trusses. I then took some measurements just so I could calculate the number of uprights required for the framework inside.

Anyway I purchased all the materials required which will be covered in the eBook later and set about building the cabin, overall the cabin took about two weeks to build on and off and it came in under budget, well when I say under budget it was £3.500 under budget yes that’s right I made it for £2.500 and that includes everything.

So as you can see by the savings it pays to do your research, research is the key. 

( I have wrote a 30 page ebook on how to build a cabin, which i sell if you are interested? just send me a message if you require one).

• WaysideWayside Posts: 729

Looks great.  With respect, have you got any pictures of you building it?

• Hi there yes in my ebook i have loads of pictures and drawings of how i built it.

• Hello Anthony........that cabin looks wonderful tho a bit big for my uses.  Almost a little house with the curtains and stuff ....I could live there quite happilyimage   

I understand your comments about researching supplies, etc. ( always a good idea whatever you are doing )......biggest problem for many people (such as myself) is the fact that we don't always have the carpentry/joinery skills which you obviously have.  I can nail a few bits of wood together but that is probably the extent of my "expertise"image

Have you looked on the Pallet thread which is running on here ?  You could perhaps offer some useful (free) input ?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,820

This looks more and more like kite flying.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dove......do I detect a slight sceptism here ? That thought just never crossed my mindimage

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Did you have to get Planning Permission?
  • WelshOnion..........you may have to buy the Ebook to find that outimage

Wind's quite gusty here - I told OH we should've got a kite the other day - but I suppose the trees would get in the way - we'd have to pop up the road to the big open spaces here 

Now that's what you  call a garden shed image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• No good Dove.....it doesn't have curtainsimage

You can't see in through that glass, but you can see out - it's fantastic - it's the Sainsbury Centre for the Visual Arts at the University of East Anglia just up the road - the most wonderful building full of wonderful things - everybody should visit at least once - we go lots and lots  - the coffee and cake is good too image