Forum home Talkback

lillys

hi there, i hope somebody can help.  right here goes, i planted some lillys 3 years ago, they die off after flowering and then regrow every year, which i look forward to and enjoy.  I want to move them this year so i have dug them out.  I was told not to do this till they have flowered.  They have flowered now.  I was told to put them in a pot over the winter and then re plant out next year in my new site? is this right.  Ive noticed there seems to be little or new lilys growing underneath the bigger ones? i think, or they look like them but have not flowered, can someone clarify this please.  ive noticed there is large bulbs underneath when i have pulled them out, or they the important part? do i just plant them or replant all of it. Ive added pics so you can see.  They was all planted together do i need to do this again or can i split them? will more grow if i can do this?

Any feedback will be a great help, thanks tony image

• you can re -pot them with fresh compost and make sure no lily beetles around ,(garlic grown in the same pot or spray  will deter the blighters) and put now into shed for winter that's what I do .

• TonymabsTonymabs Posts: 20

thank you flowering rose, could you tell me is the bottom pic a new lilly? there is 4 of them in total,  if so how long before they will flower, thanks x

• looks like it,they do produce bulblets which mature and produce flowers in a year or so s time.

• TonymabsTonymabs Posts: 20

ok thanks, can i separate the bulblets or is it best to keep them together, there is about 6 mature lillys and now 4 immature ones that dont produce flowers yet?