Grow Blueberries in Pots or Direct in Garden?

What really is the best way to grow these has I have tried before with no success probably because my garden soil is not acidic enough and I didn't really feed them. It's clay like soil. Is it possible to lower the PH of the soil or should I simply go for putting them in deep pots? What is the real difference between these ways of growing them. Thanks for your help.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,927

If your soil is not acidic, then grow blueberries in large pots of ericaceous compost. You need more than one variety to cross pollinate to get a decent crop.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I found the variety is really important, i cant remember the name of the most recent one i brought, but the berries are massive compared to the others, you might just need to try a few. The yeild definately improved when i moved them from a pot to the raised bed, they are going into the ground next year image
  • I've been growing blueberries in pots for a few years now - I have 3 varieties, Bluecrop, Herbert & Patriot. They are in large deep pots (about 50-60cm wide) with ericaceous compost. I always water them with rain water from the water butt and net them as soon as the fruit forms as the blackbirds love 'em! I also replenish the top couple of inches of compost each spring but I don't feed them and have always had really good crops image  

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I have two varieties of blueberries in pots of ericaeous compost I treat them as DamsonJ does only differences are that I give them one tomato feed when fruits start to swell and don't need to net as they are right outside patio door and birds don't come that near image   

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,154

Going to try these, my favourite fruit after raspberry - you make it sound

so easy!

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

I have found with blueberries that simply having acidic soil is not sufficient. My garden soil is an acid clay and I successfully grow Camellias, Pieris, Rhododendron and heather in it. When I planted blueberries they survived but were miserable. Transferred to big pots of ericaceous compost they have thrived and I get good crops.

• Jason 3Jason 3 Posts: 5

Blackcurrants/Blackberries and raspberries grow so I think I will go and get some pots!

• I have a large collection of mature camellias ( my old garden in Bournemouth had perfect camellia soil) some of which are now over 20 years old and been in pots these last 8 years, I really want to get them out of their pots and into the garden. My soil is clay with an alkaline leaning due to large amount of Dorset chalk and flint, apart from importing a huge amount of ericaceous compost is there another way of making my soil have more of an acid ph so the camellias can be set free finally? eg a supplment, I have plenty of wood ashes from my wood burner for example- would these help?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Wood ash is alkaline, Lyn, so don't use that!   Good for fruits and flowers though - it contains significant potassium, which is what they need.  Very soluble so don't apply when rain is expected.

Organic matter decays to produce acid, so compost and manure (both well-rotted) are good but if you have chalky soil they won't make enough of a difference.  Pine and other conifer leaves are more acidic and will also help.  Maybe you could try and acidify just one bed using these?    Otherwise you'll need to buy ericaceous compost which I think is made from peat image