Does anyone know what this plant is?

MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 375

This plant is rapidly taking over, growing in the borders, cracks in paving and pots.  Does anyone know what it is?  I wondered if it was a form of campanula.  It climbs and trails.  The photo makes the flowers look blue but they are more purple.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,172

Muddy, Looks a lot like Vinca Major or periwinkle a vigorous sub shrub the five petals and glossy leaves remind me of it but then I could be wrong.

Frank.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

http://www.english-country-garden.com/flowers/trailing-bellflower.htm

It's a trailing campanula, we've got it growing everywhere we let it.  If you pull it out it'll reappear next year.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 375

Thanks for your responses.  Having followed the link my flowers are more a purple colour but I do think it's very likely to be a campanula.  I shall apply my usual containment methods.  It's a shame it's got into the block paving as this is a real pain to keep looking tidy.

• JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN Posts: 70

It's a Campanula Portenshlagina- I had the same problem- you have to dig out ALL the roots that go quite deep or it will just grow back again and smother everything. Make sure you get every last bit !!

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I am plagued with this campanula. Unfortunately, digging out the roots isn't an option for me as they are in dry stone Walls. And flowerbeds. And cobbles. When it's finished flowering I yank it all out ( so I can see the walls!). I am thinking of glyphosating it, has anybody tried it?
  • JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN Posts: 70

Haven't tried the glyphosate on it so let me know if you have any luck with that. It spread all over my rockery and I had to basically take the whole thing apart and tediously pull each piece of root out, put the whole thing back together again and replant with new plants! I wish I had not planted it in the first place ! Ahh well- we live and learn !

• Glyphosate will work!

I'll give it a go then! Have you tried it Joe?
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 375

Flamethrower might be my solution then.  Thanks for everyone's help

Tried the flamethrower- doesn't get the roots.