Forum home Problem solving

Ants in the lawn

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    Elizabeth4 wrote (see)

Perhaps you should study these amazing little creatures ....

Ants are one of the most important creatures in many ecosystems. In some parts of the world, ant colonies are the main means by which nitrogen is fixed, and made available to other animals and plants. In Britain, some butterflies have symbotic relationships with ants. The butterflies need the ants to tend their lavae...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/ants.jpg

• BenDoverBenDover Posts: 476
    For the lawn I use Antstop! granules by Home Defence (comes in red canister with a picture of an ant on the front and a black lid). It works well. I had three different ant nests on my lawn and they were gone within a week. Being granules, no dust to breath in. You can also mix with water and drench the ant nest. Safe for pets and children once application has dried.

I also use the Antstop Bait Station (I bit like the Nippon Ant Trap), and find them a lot less messy, and safer than Nippon, as you only have to break off little black tabs, and place in vicinity of ant run. I use the Antstop! Bait Station on my paths.

I dont work for Antstation! Just their products works well.

I appreciate that some people may find the little creatures fascinating, but not in the middle of my lawn. And actually, given that there is now an ant super colony covering most of the globe, I don't think the planet will miss the odd thousand critters that used to invade my lawn!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8127000/8127519.stm
  • celia2celia2 Posts: 21

Sounds great stuff Tim.   When the Anstop is mixed with water, would you know if it's safe to literally water plants with it ?   I've had a number of plants that have been mounded up with soil by ants in the roots.  They can eventually kill or severely affect the plant.

Doesnt say it can't be used on or around plant, but if its ok to use directly on lawn then should be ok. Only caution is that it says to rinse out watering can and empty rinsings on the treated area. Also says (like most other insecticides) tp ensure its not used near watercourses. Its also not good for bees. If you plan to use on or plant avoid the flowers and perhaps do it in the evening when bees have gone to bed.
    The other thing to remember is that its not now a natural system. So much of our landscape, including our gardens, is man made, and all these infestations are a result of nature taking advantage of what we have created as ideal habitat for them. If however, the environment reverted back to how it was, these surpluses in nature would not exist and everything would be in balance with natural controls and checks.
  • i also have the dreaded ant piles in my lawn, and have tried the boiling water treatment ,only to have unsightly marks on the grass, i find now that by slicing into the mound and sprinkling powder does the trick.

• celia2celia2 Posts: 21

Thanks for all the input folks.  Think I'll try the Anstop on a border plant next.  If anyone has trouble with ants in tomato pots in the greenhouse, I think I've solved the problem there by standing the pots on plantpot saucers - so they can't burrow up into the bottom of the pot.  It also enables you to see when you've given them enough water.

• I have 13 nests in a 40 by 80 feet lawn and as much as I llike ants it is impossible to let my rabbits graze. Yesterday I found the rabbits flying around their enclosure, not exercising, trying to rid themselves of the black ants crawling all over them! They had to be washed and put back in their hutch which is now on legs and surrounded by washing up liquid as the ants hate this and won't travel over it. It has become impossible to sit in the garden. within minutes the little demons are all over our legs. I agree with leaving nature alone as much as possible but our garden has become off limits to us and our pets and I need a solution that will do as little harm as possible to rabbits, dogs and if possible even the ants.