Forum home Talkback

Heuchera - What variety is it and advice on looking after it

This Heuchera came from my late mum & dad's garden and has been in this pot for two years due to lack of flower bed space in my garden. I lost a flower bed when we had an extension done.

As you can see it has gone very tall. I have started by cutting back all the dry foliage. There was one small shoot between the two plants so I have potted that up in another pot.

Do I just re-pot the plants in deeper pots and sink them lower or is there a way to split the plants into smaller plants.

I really don't want to lose the plant as I remember my mum buying it when we were out together at a garden show. I bought other plum coloured heucheras at the time.

Do anyone also know what variety it is? It has very velvety leaves.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

If you've had it a while it's possibly Palace Purple as it was very popular and available everywhere a few years ago. You can bury them a bit deeper - they sometimes grow up out the ground anyway. Looks like you have two plants there, so divide them and pot them up separately. They're quite easy to split apart - as long as each bit has some roots they'll grow away very easily. image

I've also gathered a few seedlings from plants where I work. I just potted them up and they grow quickly. They're quite easy plants to work with - very forgiving!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Me three image, you will be amazed how easy it is to propogate it image
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Hello RC. I have a few Heucheras and have found that they do well in semi shade, I would not grow them in containers as they seem (for me) to do well in damp soil, which is hard to achieve in a small container from day to day.

I suggest that you google Heucheras - you may be amazed at the variety available, I am rather hooked on them; my favourite is Pinot Grisimage

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

Me 4 Palace Purple. There are some nice complementary coloured heucheras you could plant with it like creme brulee, fire chief, obsidian, I love em. I have them in the ground and in pots and have no problems.

• I don't think it's palace purple, the leaves look too frilly, it's more likely a variety like Chocolate Ruffles. But treat as suggested above - that will stop it from looking so woody. And watch out for the vine weevils in the winter/spring time!
  • Thanks for all the advice. I will split and re-pot.

Chocolate Ruffles sounds familiar. I have another purple heuchera from my mum. I'll have to check if that's the same variety or slightly different.

Unfortunately I have a lot of plants in pots at the moment as I need to reinstate a flower bed  on the edge of the patio after some building work. At the moment I can't make my mind up whether to have it as a raised bed or not.

I have some heucheras of my own, Bressingham, Firefly, Plum Pudding and Amethyst Mist. I am hoping to group them all together like gardenmaiden suggested.

Does anyone grow heucheras in the shade of a tree or shrubs?

I ask because all my flowerbeds around the edge of my garden are the typical style with shrubs or tree at the back with perennials, bulbs and bedding plants at the front. .

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,818

Hi, I grow a number of heucheras.  I was told by an expert to treat them like skin.  The darker they are the more they like the sun.  The paler they are the more they like the shade.  It has worked up to now.  I have some growing in shady areas close to trees and other in bright sunny spaces.  My favourites at the moment are Sweet Tart (Lime green) and Sugar Berry (dark plum) the Sweet Tart have really beautiful pink flowers. They are both quite compact.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands