Too late to sow.....

....Sweet Williams and Wild Rocket for next year?  It says May-June on the packets and with one thing and another I didn't get round to it, will it be ok sown now?

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Dunno about the wild rocket as ive never done it, would prob be ok tho, but the sweet williams should be fine image
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 11,260

Not sure OL, does it have a use by date......could you wait till next May.  

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,737

I sow wild rocket regularly and it will germinate very quickly just now OL, although the sowings this year have gone to seed very rapidly but I just take the flower spikes off and use it anyway.  I find it's perennial for me - not sure how that happens! I had a plant last year that I'd had for several years. I let it go to seed and left it for the bees. image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Sweet williams are tough cookies so I'd just go ahead and sow them in the open ground.  I' had such a good crop from my self-saved seed that I have them in several patches in the garden - of course they won't flower till next year.

I'm about to sow viola seed - last year I had so many plants |I had to fill my pots and planters with them and they flowered all winter - indeed the last ones are still flowering.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

The use by date is fine Lily as they are new seeds, I was more concerned about the timings and whether sowing them a let would mean them not flowering next spring.  I think I got the wild rocket one wrong.....its a sweet smelling flower not actual eating rocket......I'll go and check image

Oh sweet rocket? That should be fine to sow now too as the plants are in flower - i usually sow just after the plants flower as thats obviously the natural time to do it image

Sow as many sweet williams as you can! They need no care and the flowers last for ages in a vase image
  • maryredmaryred Posts: 10

I started sweet williams off 3 weeks  in compost and pricked out into peat pots - now have nice strong little plants to put out soon, or may try some in a pot. Sweet williams sown eight years ago are still growing strong.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Ooh, fab thank you everyone image And yes it is sweet rocket.....silly muppet me LOL image

Easily mixed up OL, just dont eat itimage
  • sweet rocket smells wonderful , especially in the evening, and the insects love it too