Can tomatoes have two main stems?

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 330

I'm growing alicante tomatoes in grow bags in a warm, sunny position (that is, when it's warm and sunny). They have several trusses of toms, but although I look at them every day and remove side shoots, several plants now seem to have branched out into two main stems - each with fruit trusses on. Should I let them both develop and continue to remove side shoots on both? Both "main" stems are healthy and it would seem an awful shame to remove tomatoes usually do this?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,363

Hi Berkley, They do sometime 'bifurcate' like this.  As long as they have plenty of room to let air circulate, I always leave them be.  Severing what is effectively a second main stem will take longer to heal than a nipped-out side shoot, so is more likely to become infected.  Just make sure you support both stems so that they don't break or split when the fruit gets heavier.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

One of my tomatoes acidentally had its main stem snapped off - I've left it alone, will one of the other shoots take over as a leader, or will it just remain short? 

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

If you have a side shoot then yes-I've done thatimage

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Thanks, will leave well alone and see what happens then.