Forum home Talkback

sacrilege or what?

For as long as I can remember GW has always  been at 8.30 on Friday evenings (apart from sport etc). Now it seems we will have to wait for our weekly fix until 9.30 to make way for a confectionery programme!!!!!! At least gardening is good for your health. I just hope this isn't the beginning of a downward spiral.image

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Barbara, for as long as I can remember the powers that be have wanted to ditch gardening programmes for some easy to produce pap. I am no expert but would have left GW where it was and moved the two half hour programmes up, they want to remember there are millions of gardeners out there who will not always remain silent.

Frank.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

I like them both.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,566

I like them both too - I've a feeling that the confectionery programme is aimed and parents and children, whereas they think that no one under 100 watches gardening programmes.  image

But at least nowadays most of us can either record our favourite programmes or watch on iPlayer or whatever - I suspect that the programmers will use that as an argument to support changes in programme times.  

However, thinking about it - we could use that argument to suggest that on the weeks when there is no GW because of sport or something, they could still produce and broadcast that week's programme in the middle of the night and we could watch it when we choose to.

We might have them hoisted with their own petard! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• That is good thinking. I do feel that they are underestimating the interest in gardening. Most allotment societies will tell you there are long waiting lists and not everyone at the garden centre is there just for the tea and trinkets. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

Hoisting them with their petards is what they need Dove image

Beechgrove was moved last week too, and while it's fine when you have cable or satellite tv and can series link programmes to watch at a more suitable time, it's annoying when you take a look at the schedule, don't see the prog you want to watch so you assume it's not on that week, only to find it's just been moved to another day.  I know some people can lose interest in a  series when it gets moved around constantly.

Me for instance.. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I'm very pleased with the move to 21.30...don't know if it's permanent...wish it was... get home from work 9pm..forget to tape...always have to catch up on iPlayer.....

husband and dog both gone to bed by 9.30...so watch in peace...!  might even have a Pimms...

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,172

GW seems to be a moveable feast - and them wot's in charge have scant regard for the many gardeners who are the mainstay of gardening TV.

All things go in cycles, I suppose - it's just seems as if the antiques/cookery/house-hunt cycles are stuck in permanent mode, and we have to wait for our time to come again!  (But please, no more quick-fix garden makeovers!).

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,566

Them wot's in charge obviously suspect that gardeners are a highly adaptable and IT literate/technology able  bunch  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I am probably being selfish. It was something that marked the end of the working week and aided the relaxation process. TV is all about fashions but the one constant was GW. Even the last allotment series was in the ever popular competition type style. Please don't take GW away!