Mystery plants

Er - which plants would they be? Give us a clue image

• How do I upload a picture? Sorry Im new to this but that's the speediest reply ever!
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

There is a line of symbols above the box that you type in, next to the ABC with a tick is a little tree - press that and follow what it indicates.

Plant 2

• Cheers. Was trying to do it on iPhone and couldn't see the tree icon. Logged into laptop and uploaded. Hope it helps and thanks for your help

Darren
  • NolaNola Posts: 209
    Hi there Darren in Dublin,

I think plant 1 is an Acanthus Mollis.

No idea about 2 though!
  • FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Agree that 1. is Acanthus - or Bear's Bum as it was known in our tiny garden that it dominated.

I think 2. is Leyceteria formosa - pheasant berry. I think they both need rotating 90 deg. clockwise to look normal ;- )

• fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

Hi there - well done with the photos !!! image  First is, I think Acanthus Mollis.

Second photo looks like Leycesteria formosa - Pheasant Berry shrub.

I believe that both can grow quite large - we have the first in the garden and it is quite large - do not have the second but, coincidentally, saw one in the garden of a neighbour today and it was a good sized shrub - over a metre in height.

Hope this helps and I'm sure that other forumites will have other ideas as to identity.

Happy gardening image

• Thanks people. I just surfed the net and think you're spot on. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the Leycesteria formosa as it sounds like it can be a bit invasive. It's already over shadowing the hosta so I'll keep it in check

I have to say this site is great for a budding amateur like me so cheers to all who contribute and I'll be sure to keep the forum busy!

Here's raising a glass in thanks

Darren
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

Yes watch out for the Pheasant Berry - it spreads  and self seeds easily.  It also strikes easily from cuttings, but as the name suggests, birds love the fruits.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !