wildlife friendly hedge

Hi we have just moved into a bungalow and had the 30+ 20 foot high conifers chopped down and roots dug out! we are wanting to plant a wildlife friendly hedge in its place. Can anyone advise on must have species and how many we wluld need to make a 25 metre length hedge. It would be growing up against an 8 metre wooden fence in a very sunny position. Would bare rooted plants be most ecnomical? Where could I order them from? Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,192

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Hedging__Trees__Shrubs___Conifers_1.html

A lot of my natives came from here. They sell mixes in the right proportions and are good at instructions. Go bare root in winter for cheapness and reliable establishing

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 5,674

Hello , I have a hedge of Hawthorns which is full of sparrows , robins and blackbirds also get lots of other birds 

these where planted by the Builder as a condition of planning , personally I would have mixed them up a bit , your Local Council might have a list of native plants suitable for your area 

my only advise is put some compost in the soil and water for the first year

best of luck image

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,100

My hedge is hawthorn on the right, Part conifer on the left and beech/hornbeam at the bottom, but its the hawthorn and conifer that have the birdlife.

• KayteKayte Posts: 11
    Thanks for all the ideas, nutcutlet the website was great for how many and varieties. I ll be checking our budget carefully! Though as usual some garden friends have already supplied some hazel , holly and rose they had growing in excess in their gardens.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,192

Look around and you'll probably find hawthorn seedlings in someone's gardenimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,098

Hi Kayte - most of the online hedging companies do a wildlife or native hedge mix. It's really inexpensive. They'll all have their lists ready just now for autumn/winter delivery, which gives you time to get your ground ready, and that's well worth doing. I got blackthorn last November and it's looking good already- really established. I used Hopes Grove nursery and find them very reliable - I'd used them in the past. image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• FoxBatFoxBat Posts: 9
    Kayte wrote (see)
    Hi we have just moved into a bungalow and had the 30+ 20 foot high conifers chopped down and roots dug out!

Wow, I hope you got them to leave the wood to store as firewood! Our neighbours over the road had all their trees thinned a couple of years ago and left me the big bits, I got about 12 wheelie bins full which lasted a good couple of years. image