Forum home The potting shed

Some people have fairies at....

.... the bottom of their garden.  Not me, I have this (I did on Tuesday evening anyway)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,069

Those big machines are usually red or yellow here and next door we have these who like to keep an eye on me when I'm gardening.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

What beautiful beasts, I'm jealous.  Are they noisy or just nosey image

Very nosey.   Belgian Bleu Blanc (Blue Whites) - beef cattle who spend the summer in the field growing babies.   There's always a bull with them and it's usually OK but one year he wasn't at all friendly and complained every time he saw us outside - snorting, pawing, spraying poo, giving us the evil eye and leaning on the fence if we got too close.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Oh crikey, maybe I'm not jealous after all but they're very handsome.  Cattle are incredibly nosey aren't they? Nearly all arable round here (E Anglia) but when I was little (many years ago) most farmers had a few cows out - they weren't dangerous but quite frightening when they followed you at close quarters, specially when you're knee high to a grasshopper!

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

It's the bullocks that are scary as they are so inquisitive (nosy) and stampede around in huge groups.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

obelixx - that picture is hilarious!! It reminds me of my fishing days when I would be followed through fields by curious cattle.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Awwwwww, they are GORGEOUS, I love cows image If they lived at the bottom of my garden, I definitely wouldn't eat beef image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Obelixx; that had me laughing, they all look so serious!image

They were bemused.  That holly hedge is at the southern end of our east boundary with teh paddock.  There is a wire mesh fence on the southern boundary between us and the road and I had gone out to cut out a new bed and plant it up so I was back and forth with tools, wheelbarrow, plants and the hosepipe and they just found it all fascinating.

We've had to put up a barrier of steel mesh (for reinforcing concrete) to stop the cows eating the tops of the holly hedge which was planted in 2002 and got wider every year but not taller.  Now it's 4' high and full of berries so doing well.

This year's bull is a real softy.   Here's the one that wasn't.  All muscle and no brain -

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,544

I can't believe I nearly missed this thread as was late on tonight!

Dyers I loved the Tractor and obelixx your pics are fantastic! At first I thought you was kidding image 

Def gonna show all to oh tomorrow image Then he will understand and forgive why I was up so late image