Forum home Talkback

newbie alert!

2»

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Sorry,  I should have explained that better Matthew, thanks Vic for explaining.

Re your last post Matthew, a couple of points.

The one that has finished flowering, as long as there are no flower buds at all the stem should look 'dead', when it does,remove it down to almost the bottom, that way it encourages new growth as all the energy is going into growing new stems which will in turn produce new flowers.

The plant that is still flowering, feed it with an orchid food and it may well produce more flower buds, one of mine flowering continuously for over 2 years before it had a rest. That one is now almost 5 years old (and was my first).

Finally (for now), Orchids don't need repotting to make big plants, they like to be 'pot bound' as they are a tropical plant and would grow in that way in their native environment.  It is perfectly normal for the roots to come out of the pot and that is a good thing.

I will post a picture of one of a couple of mine in a minute so you can see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

This one had 2 flowering stems and one has recently finished, you can see it at the back where I have cut it down, also the leaf at the back is dying, which is normal and will come off on its own eventually.  You can see what I mean about the roots, these are nice and green and healthy.

This one, I'm ashamed ti say,has been a bit neglected of late and does need repotting, not for a bigger pot though but just to tidy up some of the dad roots you can see.  It also needs the dead stems cutting back.

It can't be too unhappy though as it produced nice healthy new leaves and a new stem with buds in that you can see.

• Thanks that's very helpful , i think ill cut the one with no flowers back,, does that one need watering much?until its next flower

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/orchids/225010-2.html

Here you go Matthew, I've put the link on to the thread so it will be easier for you for now until you find your way round. Just click in the dark writing above.