Forum home Talkback

Good year for Cucumbers

PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,213

One of my cucumbers has gone a bit mad, its by far the largest cucumber plant i ever had ( i not grow many in the past though ) . Must be the warm weather we been having.  I did a bit of experiment with two cucumber plants i have grown. One was planted in a pot and the other one planted into my veg bed in the Greenhouse, both sown  - planted on - feed at the same time.

The difference between the two plants is literal HUGE.  The Cucumber in the pot is about 2 foot tall - had no Cucumbers off it yet but has about 5 growing.

Cucumber in the ground - large - already had 3 large cucumbers off it - has a potential 22 cucumbers growing image  and i sure it growing a few inch everyday

Here a picture of each plant.

Whoops was meant to put in Fruit & veg forum image

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,134

looks great

mine just starting to form on outside veg bed but I was late in sowing

Hampshire Gardener
  • FoolioFoolio Posts: 94

I grew mine in hanging baskets this year - works well the cucs grow really straight As gravity involved.

• like urself I grew outdoors and in green house this year, trimming back the ones in green house as normal, and letting the ones outdoors do there natural thing! the ones outdoors have plenty of late blooming fruit, yet to be usable, but indoors, the ones who where cut back, pruned etc, have 12 inch fruit on them! I am amazed, first year growing them, toms are the same, outdoor are growing slower, but lots of unripened fruit on them!