Forum home Plants

What have I been given?

MamaJenMamaJen Posts: 2

I would love some help identifying the plants in this lovely gift box I have been given.  Or at least whether it should be kept indoors or outdoors!  Hope the photo works.... thank you xx

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,181

Come on chaps, help us out! I can only say that the red cyclamen will survive living in the garden until the first frost, when it will die. The rose can be planted out but might not  come to much. No idea about the others. Come on, step into the breach!

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JohnnCJohnnC Posts: 3

think the yellow buds opening at the bottom of pic are french or african marigolds. They will also survive in the garden until first frost.The buds on the right may also be marigolds but its hard to tell. Really nice gift box by the way!

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Bottom right are Chrysanthemum image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

Not my sort of plants but I wonder if those buttony ones at the from could be chrysanths. Also not the hardy sort prob.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,853

You may be lucky with the cyclamen. Mum gave me a similar display years ago. I popped it into a raised east-facing shady bed close to the house and the red and pink cyclamen still come up every year

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • MamaJenMamaJen Posts: 2
    Thank you everybody! I'm glad at least some of it will survive beyond first frost with a bit of care! Will do a bit of research to see if I can get seeds from the others. Thank you so much for your quick responses, it's hugely helpful.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135

The little yellow buds at the bottom are spray chrysanths, you may be able to get cuttings from them then overwinter and plant out next Spring.

usually those miniature roses have been forced on for sale purposes, I would treat it as a houseplant, then prune early Spring like any other rose. I have had one for 10 years, and it still blooms.

you can keep the cyclamen going indoors, treat as a house plant.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.